Instream River Work

All in-river or in-stream works in Scotland are subject to Controlled Activity Regulation (CAR). This legislation has been introduced from Europe under the Water Framework Directive (WFD). To obtain a licence, the Scottish Environmental Protection Agency (SEPA) has to be consulted. There is considerable cost in making an application to SEPA. The application expense is dependent on the nature of proposed works.

We have 25 years experience of working with river owners on in-stream works.

We will undertake to:

  • Advise on pool design and erosion control.
  • Design structures and provide drawings if required.
  • Fully cost the proposed works.
  • Approach SEPA for advice and host a site visit.
  • Fill out the relevant application forms and obtain a CAR licence as required.
  • Approach the planning department and gain consent if required.
  • Supply environmental surveys as required.
  • Identify and block hill drains.

Once the correct consents are in place we can undertake the physical works:

  • Contract specialist machinery operators and supervise works.
  • Import materials as required.
  • Ensure the job is completed to your satisfaction.
  • Ensure all environmental protection measures are in place at all times.


George R Ross.

RegardsGeorge R Ross.